Let’s get the basic facts about these 2 natural dietary supplements and learn why they deserve a respectable place in osteoarthritis treatment.
What are Glucosamine and Chondroitin?
Glucosamine is a form of amino acid naturally found in the body. It plays a key role in cartilage formation and repair, and would help in joints lubrication.
Sources: The glucosamine used in supplements is extracted from crab, lobster or shrimp shell.
Chondroitin is another molecule naturally found in the body. It is part of a large protein molecule (proteoglycan) that gives cartilage its elasticity. Needed for cartilage formation and maintenance. Action of blocking enzymes that destroy cartilage.
Sources: Cartilage, such as tracheas or shark cartilage.
Scientific Proofs of Their Benefits in Osteoarthritis Treatment
An important amount of quality studies have been conducted on glucosamine and chondroitin supplements, enough for the results to be conclusive:
- Available evidence from randomized controlled trials supports the use of glucosamine sulfate in the treatment of osteoarthritis, particularly of the knee.
- According to some recent studies, glucosamine is beneficial to relieve muscular and skeletal pain in athletes.
- Several studies showed that people with mild to moderate osteoarthritis (OA) taking either glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate reported pain relief at a level similar to that of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin and ibuprofen.
- Other researches indicate that these supplements can slow down cartilage damage in people with OA.
Glucosamine and Chondroitin Supplements
Use of glucosamine and/or chondroitin supplements is recommended to treat symptoms of mild to moderate osteoarthritis, as well as to slow down the evolution of the disease.
It is possible to find formulas containing both glucosamine and chondroitin, which usually represents lower costs and having less pills to take.
When considering supplements as part of an osteoarthritis treatment plan, some questions may arise:
What are the precautions with these supplements?
- People with high blood pressure should choose sodium free formulas.
- Caution is advised if suffering from seafood allergy.
- Glucosamine may erroneously show elevate blood sugar results on the glucose monitor.
- Security of these products has not been tested on pregnant or breastfeeding woman.
- Should not be used under age 16.
How long before the benefits are felt?
A minimum of 2 weeks is usually needed to start getting the benefits, but it may take up to 6 weeks.
Are there any side effects?
Rarely, light gastro-intestinal disturbances. Lessen if taken with meals.
Where to buy glucosamine and chondroitin?
These supplements can be found in drugstores, natural health stores or online.
What are the benefits of buying online?
Of course there is the commodity. Also, you can choose the brand you want; choice is sometimes limited in drugstores.
Visit Amazon for the largest selection of joint supplements online!
In this article, you’ve learned that both glucosamine and chondroitin supplements have been proven effective for reducing the symptoms and progression of osteoarthritis. In the end, whatever glucosamine and chondroitin supplement you try, you can expect to get joint protection and pain relief (with a minimum of 6 weeks intake).
Also, it is important to remember that dietary supplements should be one of the actors in your osteoarthritis treatment, along with lifestyle changes and prescribed medication as the case may be.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.